The Georgia Avenue Neighborhood Mixed-Use NC-8 Zone is located primarily along Georgia Avenue, N.W. south of Shepard Street, N.W. and north of Park Road, N.W. This zone district applies to non-residentially zoned lots.
The purposes of the NC-8 zone are to:
- Implement the objectives of the Georgia Avenue - Petworth Metro Station Area and Corridor Plan, approved by the Council of the District of Columbia, effective July 20, 2006 (Res. 16-686);
- Implement the goals of the Great Streets Framework Plan for 7th Street - Georgia Avenue, published by the District Department of Transportation and dated 2006
- Encourage additional residential uses along the Georgia Avenue corridor
- Encourage improved commercial uses;
- Provide uniform building design standards;
- Set guidelines for development review through planned unit development (PUD) and special exception proceedings; and
- Encourage vertically mixed-uses (ground floor commercial and residential above) within a quarter mile of the Georgia Avenue - Petworth Metrorail Station along Georgia Avenue, from Park Road to Shepherd Street.
The NC-8 zone permits mixed-use development at a medium density with a focus on employment, including additional residential uses above improved commercial uses.
|Floor Area Ratio (max.)1||Height (ft.)||Penthouse Height (ft.)/Stories2||Lot Occupancy
|Rear Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)||Green Area Ratio||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|75% (residential)||12 (minimum)||None required, if provided it shall be at least 2 in. wide for each 1 ft. of height of building but no less than 5 ft.||0.25||Subtitle H, Chapter 8|
|4.8 (IZ)||18 for mechanical space (second additional story for mechanical space)||80% (IZ)||8 ft. for a single-family detached or semi-detached dwelling|
|1.0 (non-residential)||100% (non-residential)|
1 Construction of a new building, or enlargement of the gross floor area of an existing building by 50% or more, on a lot that has 12,000 sq. ft. or more of land area is permitted only as a special exception if approved by the Board of Zoning Adjustment.
2 Except as prohibited on the roof of a detached dwelling, semi-detached dwelling, rowhouse, or flat in Subtitle C § 1500.4.