The RA-8 zone is intended to:
- Recognize the Dupont Circle area is a unique resource in the District of Columbia that must be preserved and enhanced;
- Provide strong protections to retain its low scale, predominantly residential character, independent small retail businesses, human scale streetscapes, and historic character;
- Enhance the residential character of the area by maintaining existing residential uses and controlling the scale and density of residential development;
- Protect the integrity of “contributing buildings”, as that term is defined by the Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act of 1978.
- Preserve areas planned as open gardens and backyards and protect the light, air, and privacy that they provide;
- Enhance the streetscape by maintaining the public space in front of buildings as landscaped green spaces; and
- Encourage greater use of public transportation and the free circulation of vehicles through public streets and alleys.
The RA-8 zone provides for areas developed with predominantly moderate-density apartments.
|Floor Area Ratio (max.)1||Height (ft.)2, 3, 4||Penthouse Height (ft.)/
|Lot Occupancy||Rear Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)||Green Area Ratio (min.)||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|RA-8||1.8||50||12 ft. / 15 ft. for mechanical space||60%||15 ft.; or a distance equal to 4 in. per 1 ft. of principal building height||If provided,no less than 4 ft.||0.40||Subtitle F, Chapter 3|
2nd story permitted for mechancial space
|8 ft. for a detached or semi-detached dwelling|
1 See Subtitle F § 201 for general Density guidelines.
2 A place of worship may be erected to a height of 60 ft.; provided, that it shall not exceed the number of stories permitted in the district in which it is located.
3 An institutional building or structure may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot a distance of not less than 1 ft. for each 1 ft. of height in excess of that authorized in the district in which it is located.
4 Except as provided in Subtitle F §§ 203.2 and 203.3, a building or other structure may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot for a distance equal to the height of the building or structure above the natural grade.
5 A side setback shall not be required along a side street abutting a corner lot.