The purposes of the Tree and Slope Protection Residential R-7 zone are to:
- Preserve and enhance the park-like setting of designated neighborhoods adjacent to streams or parks by regulating alteration or disturbance of terrain, destruction of trees, and ground coverage of permitted buildings and other impervious surfaces;
- Preserve the natural topography and mature trees to the maximum extent feasible in a residential neighborhood;
- Prevent significant adverse impact on adjacent open space, parkland, stream beds, or other environmentally sensitive natural areas;
- Limit permitted ground coverage of new and expanded buildings and other construction, so as to encourage a general compatibility between the siting of new buildings and the existing neighborhood; and
- Shall be mapped in residential neighborhoods that are located at the edge of stream beds or public open spaces and that have a significant quantity of steep slopes, stands of mature trees, and undeveloped lots and parcels subject to potential terrain alteration and tree removal. It is not suitable for mapping in neighborhoods where nearly all lots are already developed on a rectangular grid system and the existing mature trees are either yard trees or street trees.
The R-7 zone is intended to permit detached houses on moderately sized lots.
|Minimum Lot Width (ft.) /
Area (sq. ft.)
|Lot Occupancy||Front Setback||Read Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)||Pervious Surface (minimum)||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|R-7||40||50||30%||A front setback shall be provided within the range of existing front setbacks of all structures within an R-7 zone on the same side of the street in the block where the building is proposed.||25||8||50%||Subtitle D, Chapter 4|
1 Institutional buildings or structures may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., not including the penthouse, provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot a distance of not less than 1 ft. for each foot of height in excess of that authorized in the zone in which it is located.
2 A building with a side yard less than 8 ft. wide, an extension or addition may be made to the building; provided, that the width of the existing side yard shall not be decreased; and provided further, that the width of the existing side yard shall be a minimum of 5 ft.