The Georgia Avenue Neighborhood Mixed-Use NC-7 Zone is located along Georgia Avenue, N.W. south of New Hampshire Avenue, N.W. and north of Shepard Street, N.W., as well as along Georgia Avenue, N.W. north of Kenyon Street, N.W. and South of Park Road, N.W. This zone district applies to non-residentially zoned lots.
The purposes of the NC-7 zone are to:
- Implement the objectives of the Georgia Avenue - Petworth Metro Station Area and Corridor Plan, approved by the Council of the District of Columbia, effective July 20, 2006 (Res. 16-686);
- Implement the goals of the Great Streets Framework Plan for 7th Street - Georgia Avenue, published by the District Department of Transportation and dated 2006;
- Encourage additional residential uses along the Georgia Avenue corridor;
- Encourage improved commercial uses;
- Provide uniform building design standards;
- Set guidelines for development review through planned unit development (PUD) and special exception proceedings; and
- Encourage vertically mixed-uses (ground floor commercial and residential above) within a quarter mile of the Georgia Avenue - Petworth Metrorail Station along Georgia Avenue, from Park Road to Shepherd Street.
The NC-7 zone permits mixed-use development at a moderate density, including additional residential uses above improved commercial uses.
|Floor Area Ratio (max.)1||Height (ft.)||Penthouse Height (ft.)/Stories2||Lot Occupancy
|Rear Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)||Green Area Ratio||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|70% (residential)||15 (min.)||None required; If provided it shall be at least 2 in. wide for each 1 ft. of height of building but no less than 5 ft.3||0.30||Subtitle H, Chapter 8|
|3.0 (IZ)||55 (IZ)||15 for mechanical space (second additional story for mechanical space)||75% (IZ)||8 ft. for a single-family detached or semi-detached dwelling|
|1.5 (non-residential)||100% (non-residential)|
1 Construction of a new building, or enlargement of the gross floor area of an existing building by 50% or more, on a lot that has 12,000 sq. ft. or more of land area is permitted only as a special exception if approved by the Board of Zoning Adjustment.
2 Except as prohibited on the roof of a detached dwelling, semi-detached dwelling, rowhouse, or flat in Subtitle C § 1500.4.