The RA-6 zone provides for areas predominantly developed with low- to moderate-density development, including detached dwellings, rowhouses, and low-rise apartments in the vicinity of the U.S. Naval Observatory.
The RA-6 zone is intended to:
- Promote the public health, safety, and general welfare on land adjacent to or in close proximity to the highly sensitive and historically important Naval Observatory, in keeping with the goals and policies of the Federal and District elements of the Comprehensive Plan and the adopted Master Plan for that facility;
- Ensure that public land within the zone shall be used in a manner consistent with the historic or ceremonial importance and special missions of the Naval Observatory;
- Reflect the importance of the Naval Observatory to the District of Columbia and the Nation;
- Provide additional controls on private land to protect Federal interest concerns, including the critical scientific mission performed at the Naval Observatory and the security needs of the Vice-President's residence; and
- Provide development standards to reduce or eliminate any possible harm or restrictions on the mission of the Federal establishment within the zone.
|Floor Area Ratio (max.)1||Height (ft.)2, 3, 4/
|Lot Occupancy||Rear Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)||Green Area Ratio (min.)||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|RA-6||0.90||40||40%||20||1 side yard shall be provided for all structures unless the structure contains 3 or more dwelling units per floor, in which case 2 side yards will be provided, 8 ft. minimum.||0.40||Subtitle F, Chapter 4|
|3||8 ft. for a detached or semi-detached dwelling|
1 See Subtitle F § 201 for general Density guidelines.
2 A place of worship may be erected to a height not exceeding 60 ft. and 3 stories, not including the penthouse.
3 An institutional building or structure may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., not including the penthouse, provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot a distance of not less than 1 ft. for each 1 ft. of height in excess of that authorized in the district in which it is located.
4 Except as provided in Subtitle F §§ 203.2 and 203.3, a building or other structure may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot for a distance equal to the height of the building or structure above the natural grade.
5 A side yard is not required along a side street abutting a corner lot.