The purposes of the Foggy Bottom Residential House R-17 zone are to:
- Enhance the residential character of the area by maintaining existing low-scale residential uses, human scale streetscape, and historic character;
- Enhance the human-scale streetscape by maintaining the public space in front of the buildings as landscaped green spaces and limiting future curb cuts;
- Require a scale of development consistent with the Comprehensive Plan; and the characteristics of the low scale residential townhouse neighborhood that formed the basis on which the area was designated a historic district;
- Protect the integrity of the historic district, its small scale, and open spaces; require compatibility of any development with the purposes of the Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act of 1978, and preclude demolitions or partial demolitions that would lead to an increase in height and floor area ratio inappropriate to the area;
- Preserve areas planned as open backyards and alleyways that provide the only access to historic alley dwellings, and to protect the light, air, and privacy that they provide; and
- Encourage greater use of public transportation through use of the nearby Metrorail Station, so as to protect the narrow residential streets and alleys from the deleterious effects of disruptive excessive traffic.
The R-17 zone is intended to permit single dwelling unit rowhouses on small lots.
|Height (ft.) /
Stories 1, 2
|Minimum Lot Width (ft.)||Minimum Lot Area||Lot Occupancy||Front Setback||Rear Yard (ft.)||Side Yard (ft.)3||Pervious Surface (min.)||Zoning Regulation Reference|
|R-17||40||40 (detached)||4,000 (detached)||60% (row dwellings & places of worship)||A front setback shall be provided within the range of existing front setbacks of all residential buildings, on the same side of the street in the block where the building is proposed.||20||No less than 5 ft, if provided||20%||Subtitle D, Chapter 10|
|30 (semi-detached)||3,000 (semi-detached)|
|3||20 (row)||2,000 (row)||40% (all other structures)|
|16 (IZ row)||1,600 (IZ row)|
1 Institutional buildings or structures may be erected to a height not exceeding 90 ft., not including the penthouse, provided that the building or structure shall be removed from all lot lines of its lot a distance of not less than 1 ft. for each foot of height in excess of that authorized in the zone in which it is located.
2 The maximum permitted height of a penthouse, except as permitted in Subtitle D and as prohibited on the roof of a detached dwelling, semi-detached dwelling, rowhouse, or flat in Subtitle C § 1500.4, shall be 12 ft. and 1 story. A non-residential building constructed pursuant to Subtitle D § 1003.2 shall be permitted a mechanical penthouse to a maximum height of 18 ft. 6 in.
3 In the R-17 zone, when a single dwelling unit, flat, or multiple dwelling is erected that does not share a common division wall with an existing building or a building being constructed together with the new building, it shall have a side yard on each resulting free-standing side. For a building with a side yard less than 8 ft. wide, an extension or addition may be made to the building; provided, that the width of the existing side yard shall not be decreased; and provided further, that the width of the existing side yard shall be a minimum of 5 ft.