The Zoning Commission is authorized to approve Planned Unit developments (PUD). The purpose of the PUD process is to provide for higher quality development through flexibility in building controls, including height and density, provided that the resulting development is superior to what would result from a matter- of-right development, offer a commendable number or quality of meaningful public benefits, and protect and advance the public health, safety, welfare, and convenience, and is not inconsistent with the Comprehensive Plan.

The Applicant has the burden of proof to justify the granting of a PUD application. The Zoning Commission
will “judge, balance, and reconcile” the relative value of the public benefits and amenities, the degree of
development incentives requested, and any potential adverse effects for each specific case.

Types of PUDs
Two-Stage Consolidated
First-stage: Application involves a general review of the site’s suitability, including appropriateness of the proposed mix of uses and bulk and height, and the compatibility of the proposed development with the Comprehensive Plan. A PUD that incorporates all the
information and materials for both the
applications in
one initial application.
Second-stage: Includes a detailed site plan review that looks at transportation management and mitigations, final building and landscape design and materials, and compliance with the first-stage approval and the PUD provisions


In practice, the two-stage PUD process is most often seen in cases where the PUD is especially large or complicated, or when the site is in an area that is undeveloped or undergoing a planning process.

With or without a Related Map Amendment

PUDs may be proposed for the existing zone district or they may be accompanied by a map amendment (see PUD related map amendment under “Map Amendment”). Those PUDs with a related map amendment usually, but not always, have a greater density or height than that which is allowed for a PUD in the existing (or matterofright) zone district. In some cases, project size is not the  issue, but the related map amendment is needed to allow for the proposed use, such as a residential building proposed for land that is currently zoned PDR.

For more information on the following topics, please see the corresponding referenced sections: